Saturday 7 February 2015

My Favorite Uses for COCONUT OIL


I've been integrating coconut oil in my weekly beauty routine for the past little while, so I thought I'd share my favorite ways to use it with you all. I'm sure this isn't the first time you're reading how beneficial coconut oil is for our bodies, skin, hair, etc. It truly has an endless amount of uses for us, and so it becomes difficult to decide where to start, how to use it etc. Here are three of my favorite ways to use it:

Hair Mask

The use of coconut oil on hair helps to reduce protein loss in both damaged and undamaged. Coconut oil rich in lauric acid, has a high affinity for hair protein, and easily penetrates inside the hair shaft, which is due to its low molecular weight. It can be used for pre-wash or post-wash hair grooming. It is also a better conditioner for hair than any synthetic one available in stores. Other hair benefits include: moister retainer, anti-dandrif, repairs slpit ends, prevention of gray hair and hair loss, etc. I use a coconut oil hair mask once a week (maybe once every two weeks if I find myself pretty busy) and so far the results have been fantastic. Here's how I do it:

You will need:
-jar of 100% natual coconut oil (easily found in grocery or health food stores)
-bowl
-paint or hair dye brush (optional)
-towel
-shower cap (or plastic bag)



Once you have your supplies ready, wrap a towel around your neck, similarily to how you would do it when dying your hair. I find tucking the towel inside the collar of your shirt particularily useful to avoid the oil leaking onto your clothes. Now you need to add a couple of tea spoons (more if you have longer hair, over time you will learn how to properly portion for yourself) of cocout oil into a bowl or container. It needs to be melted down, but it's important not to do it in the microwave; I usually fill the sink with steaming hot water, place the container with the coconut oil in the sink (without letting the water enter the bowl) and start mixing with a spoon. In no time the oil is liquified and ready to be placed onto your hair.
Now I like to seperate my hair into sections (again, just like when you dye your hair) to make sure the coconut oil is equally and fully spread onto as much hair as possible. 


Now take small pieces of hair at a time, dip either a paint/dye brush or even your hands (as it is a great moisterizer for the skin as well) into the oil and work it into the hair from the roots down. If you have damaged or split ends, make sure to work it in well in the ends. Do this, piece by piece, section by section until your head is covered.
Once you're finished, tuck your hair into a shower cap and you need to let it sit for a minimum of four hours to allow the oil to sink into the hair. The longer the better, it's sometimes easier to just keep it in over night and wash it out in the morning. The more you do it, the more you will notice a change in your hair. I'm now in my fourth consecutive week and my hair is significantly less damaged, my split ends are gone, and it's softer and livelier. It is my favorite hair product and 100% natural!


Moisturizer
As I mentioned very briefly, coconut oil is also an amazing moisturizer for the skin! Coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids or triglycerides which retains the moisture content of the skin, as the fats eliminate moisture loss through the pores on skin ( as well as reducing the appearance of pores). It also contains Capric /Caprylic/Lauric acid which as a result, when applied on the skin, coconut oil protects from microbial infections that can get into open wounds or even enter the body through the pores. This microbial action can be experienced even if coconut oil is taken internally, as the fatty acids boost the immunity when converted to monocaprins and monolaurins. It also contains Vitame E, which is essential for cellular health and tissue repair. Coconut oil on the skin and act as an anti-aging oil, makeup remover and general moisterizer. 
I like to keep mine in the shower to apply to face as a face wash/makeup remover during my shower, as well as to apply it to my body before I put my pijamas on. Espcially during the winter months, it's great at keeping my skin soft, moisturized and healthy!

Teeth Whitener/ Mouth Health


 Coconut also does amazing things for your mouth! It's benefits include: Natural Teeth Whitener, Cavity and gingivitis prevention, Better breath (halitosis suffers also reported greatly improved morning breath), Stronger teeth and gums, Less jaw pain (TMJ sufferers noted great improvement), sleep problems and sinus issues, Alleviation of headaches, hangovers and skin issues (reports have shown improvement in acne, psoriasis and eczema). The easiest way to recieve these befefits is by "Oil Pulling", which works like this:
Put one to two teaspoons in your mouth, swish it around for a minimum of twenty minutes, spit it out, rinse and brush throroughly. That's it! There are so many easy ways to use organic coconut oil and the benefits are so worth it! I highly recommend adding it to your weekly/monthly beauty and health routine. I know I'm glad I did! 

2 comments:

  1. Loving the colour pallete in this photographs :) I had no idea how many useful properties coconut oil has! I feel enlightened ^_^
    A real miracle fruitnut :D

    Sarah xxo

    thesaltyseablog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am continually amazed at the 100's of uses and the benefits of coconut oil. Thank you for sharing. You can get stacks of recipes here http://goo.gl/WCftgB

    ReplyDelete